Saturday, January 21, 2006

Dundas and Sherbourne

This intersection is always lively, though perhaps not my favourite place to sit and read a book. Two corners house convenience stores; on the third is the strangely-named Love Cafe (which is not romantic at all) and on the last corner sits one of Toronto's oldest churches that now serves as a soup kitchen for the less-fortunate members of the Regent Park community. At any given hour you will find people out on the street talking with their neighbours or simply watching the action. From this corner you get a different impression of urban life entirely.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bellamy said...

One of my most vivid memories originally took place on this corner. I was waiting for the streetcar with my mom along with a fair number of other bystanders.
We heard police sirens from the north, getting louder and louder. Sure, sirens are normal, especially downtown, but there was a frantic nature to these sounds. We saw a car hurtling down the street, my mon kept pulling me closer to her (I was standing in front) until I was stepping on her feet! I stumbled a bit and as I did, the speeding car crashed right into a pole outside of tahat church.

I'll never forget how shocked we all were that we had just witnessed the end of a highspeed car chase!

2/28/2006 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home