Wednesday, January 18, 2006

My (not-so-) Secret Spot

One day I had a few hours to kill between classes, and instead of going home as I usually would, I was in an introspective mood so I decided to go for a solitary walk. I headed south from College and St. George. I had never explored this area before, so I had no idea what to expect. When I came across Baldwin street (between Beverley and McCaul) I felt like the discoverer of a secret lost land. Hidden within a residential neighbourhood, this block, with its old homes converted into shops, restaurants and bakeries, is quite an anomaly. I love how every business there is independent - there's no McDonalds or HMV, but they've got a wide range of ethnic restaurants and a few little stores that are always fun to browse through for obscure little trinkets. I love that block of Baldwin because it's completely one-of-a-kind, and up until now I thought it was my little secret. In fact, it seems that most of us at U of T are quite familiar with Baldwin Street. But the fact that it has the ability to make everyone who comes across if feel as though they are finding a hidden treasure makes it quite magical, and that's why it's one of my favourite spots in Toronto.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home