Sunday, January 29, 2006

Yonge & Sheppard

My favourite intersection of Toronto is at the heart of North York, Yonge St. and Sheppard Ave.
I've been a North Yorker my whole life, so I wouldn't feel right choosing a downtown intersection. It wouldn't be truthful of my ties to this city.

What I love about Yonge and Sheppard is how it defies the typical image of suburbia. It's a vibrant, diverse and busy hub that reflects the true nature of the large city formerly known as North York. Beautiful and modern high-rise condo buildings rise year after year, demonstrating the dominance of familial and urban living, as opposed to economic and commercial power. The annual winter festival at Mel Lastman Square has been a fixture of many people's childhoods (including my own). It's an almost organic alternate downtown, with green space, wide avenues, great shopping venues, and two wonderful movie theatres. North York Centre is also a place of learning, with the North York Central Library, the North York Civic Centre, and two of Canada's largest school boards calling North York their home. The Toronto Centre for the Arts, is an important fixture in Toronto's cultural scene.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home