Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Bloor and Jane

My favourite intersection.

My life and culture has shaped the way I see this intersection, and no one else will see it the way I do. The same way as most people will not see your favourite intersection or place the exactly the same way you do. Jane and Bloor, is pretty well known for the Ukrainian Day Parade that takes place annually sometime in August or September. It is nearly impossible to walk two feet and not recognize or run into someone I know. Whether I am walking, biking or driving past this intersection, no matter how deep into thought I may be I automatically take a look around and appreciate this intersection. I probably even drive, walk or bike slower then usual because I am just thinking about this intersection and reminisce.
In the winter, there is a very (north-west corner) unusual structure made out of Christmas lights, SUPPOSED to resemble a Christmas tree, but it doesn’t. The water fountain of which it is placed is also a site for pranks where teenagers will pour in some soap or detergent so the entire street corner is eventually covered in foam; this would usually take place very very late but never fails to make spectators laugh or smile. Not far from this fountain is also a bar(2 floors); Billy bob’s on top and The Fan at the bottom; a great place on Mondays for 10 cent wings. I can go on and on about this intersection and what it means to me, but that just might turn into an autobiography.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

What a coincidence that you point this out - I worked at Billy Bob's and the Fan all through my undergrad; four sweat-filled years!! I always thought it was an unfortunate name for a restaurant...

2/01/2006 3:11 PM  
Blogger Lesia said...

That is a coincidence. It's a great bar/restaurant except for the fact that The Fan allows smoking inside. Yeah the names are kind of unfortunate, but it could be worse... there's a place downtown called "the village idiot."

2/08/2006 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home