Thursday, January 12, 2006

My Favourite TO Intersection


My current favourite intersection in Toronto is Bloor and Avenue Road (or Bloor and Queen's Park - either pair of corners will do!) Standing there, the huge buildings in the distance highlight the immensity of the city, but you are also close to a few somewhat quaint, village-like spots: Yorkville (which is beautiful on winter evenings, with all the lights), and my favourite spots on campus, Victoria University and St. Michael's College. These secluded places have fantastic buildings and great public art. Back at the corner, I've always loved how the Church of the Redeemer sits so placidly in front of the massive Four Seasons Hotel. Similarly juxtaposed are the new and old façades of the ROM, and although an architect friend disparagingly tells me that such juxtapositions are passé, I adore the way the new design looks in its current skeleton formulation. The redesign of the Gardiner Museum of Ceramic Art is also promising, but the site is currently a giant pit of mud and, as such, not much to look at. Throw in a nearby Swiss Chalet and it is easy to see why this intersection tops my list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home